Join the Youth Action Council (YAC)
The Nevada SILC is looking for youths aged 10-30 to join the newly formed Youth Action Council.
If you are interested in providing a voice for youth with disabilities, becoming more active in self-advocacy, and have ideas that will improve the lives of people with disabilities, you are in the right place!
Requirements to become a volunteer for the Youth Action Council (YAC):
- Identify as a youth with a disability.
- Willing to work 3-4 hours per month as a Youth Action Council volunteer member.
- Willing to attend a quarterly meeting that follows Open Meeting law in Nevada.
- Be willing to commit to Code of Ethics and Member Etiquette
There are benefits to being a council member!
- Leadership skills and experience.
- Education on independent living history and disability rights.
- Support with self-advocacy and resume building.
- Participation in a community of like-minded youth with disabilities.
- Letters of recommendation from the Youth Leader.
There are many ways you can contribute to the council! Some of the areas we need help in include:
- Helping students transition from High School into a successful adult life.
- Working as a team to come up with ways to help students transition by educating students about the Independent Living Network (IL Network) and what resources they have for young adults with disabilities accomplish their goals after high school.
- Working with high schools to get the word out about the IL Network.
- Managing official Youth Action Council social media accounts and creating new ones.
- Filming educational videos for public consumption.
- Collecting a list of community resources that benefit people with disabilities.
- Interviewing community members.
- Contributing to an anti-bullying campaign.
- Anything else you have a vision for. This council is by youth with disabilities, for youth with disabilities. We want to empower and support you in pursuing whatever ideas you have that will benefit the disability community!
If you are interested in joining the Youth Action Council, please provide the following information to the email listed below.
Date of Birth:
Why do you think you’d be a good fit for the Youth Action Council?
Please submit your responses to: CodyButler@adsd.nv.gov